Become a Volunteer
A hand held out in help is the greatest human asset. Be the hand that reaches out to empower others. At Devnar, we treasure our volunteers as our biggest strength. Be a Devnar Volunteer and help visually challenged children experience a positive vibe. Be enriched in the process. There are endless ways you can choose to become a volunteer.
Education and beyond
Education and beyond – Devnar is not merely about offering excellent scope of schooling for the visually challenged. Our motive is to provide an all-round grooming that would encourage each child to pursue an ideal future of her choice! Sports and Computer Training are an integral part of our holistic grooming process.
Sports has been one of the key highlight areas
Sports has been one of the key highlight areas of success for Devnar school. The Devnar school cricket team has been regular at the State, National and International levels. Players from the team have represented India at One Day International and also World Cup Cricket tournament.
Students regularly participate in competitions
The students regularly participate in chess competitions held at the state and national levels. They participate in tournaments organized by the International Abilympics.
They also participate in different World Chess Championships. Devnar conducts FIDE Rating All India Chess Tournament every year in summer for the past 10 years, where chess players from all over India in the age group of 6 to 70 years participate.
Computer training for the visually challenged students
Devnar is the first institution in India where computer training was introduced for the visually challenged in 2001. What is important about the training is the fact that these have been designed to suit the need of visually challenged children. Special softwares are used to train the children to use computer keyboards. Additionally, specialized softwares such as JAWS, KURWEIL, MAGIC, PRISMA, and Low Vision Clinic ensure the best learning process in the most effective way possible. All these trainings are extremely effective in providing them a good foundation for the future.
- If you are a teacher or involved with education, you can spare some time for these children as well. Become a volunteer teacher, and lead the children to the light of knowledge.
- If you are a doctor or in the medical profession, we will be happy to welcome you to be a part of the different medical camps and in-house medical needs as a volunteer.
- If you are a computer professional, you can certainly be a volunteer in our team involved with computer training.
- If you are a sportsperson, we invite you to volunteer in our sports endeavors and help the children excel in sports.
- If you are a scientist or involved with science, help the children know the marvels of science, in your free time.
- If you are into cultural activities, get involved in sharing your passion with the children.
- If you are a corporate executive, help us in fund-raising as a volunteer. You can help us acquire good sponsors for our programs.
- If you are into social media, use your platform to spread the word about us. Every bit of awareness and publicity would push us a step ahead.
- If you are a student, home-maker, or an elderly person with some spare time, you can assist us in a number of ways: spend time with the children, play with them, conduct story-telling sessions, help with grocery purchases.
Above all, be our strength in any way you think would help us! Volunteers are a part of our support system and we need you! All we can assure you is that you will never be disappointed with the experience. As the little hands clutch yours in gratitude and their lips curve in that perfect smile, you will engrave an everlasting memory in your heart!
What Our Volunteer Say
I've taught 'normal' children for 14 years, but interaction with the visually challenged kids has always been refreshing, enriching and a fulfilling experience. And i thoroughly enjoy myself every session...